What is PS3 YLOD?
PS3 Yellow Light of Death is also referred as YLOD. It is the situation in which a PS3 starts emitting flashing yellow light. As per Sony, it means “general hardware failure” Other symptoms are 2-3 beeps, flashing red light etc.
What are symptoms of YLOD?
The most common symptoms of PS3 YLOD are
- Flashing yellow/green/amber colored light
- 2 or 3 beep sounds
- PS3 freezing up during starting up, while playing game or movie.
What are the causes of YLOD?
YLOD is caused due to PS3 getting overheated and thereby causing the components to get detached.
Can YLOD be fixed?
Yes, YLOD can be fixed very easily. The aim is to connect the detached component back and the PS3 will be good to go.
Who can fix YLOD?
You have 3 choices ahead of you.
- Ask Sony: You can contact Sony and ask them to repair your PS3. Keep in mind tough that it comes with a huge charge.
- Find a repairman: You can try searching for a reputable repairman in your area. Beware though, since even if you find one he will be running short of time and may not give proper attention to your PS3. You may have to wait for upto 3 weeks and may need to shell out upto $100.
- Fix YLOD yourself: You will need some easily available tools and a very good PS3 repair guide.
How to fix PS3 YLOD?
You have 3 choices-
- Give it to Sony: Give your PS3 to Sony and let them fix it. They’ll charge $150 (+shipping + taxes) and will return your PS3 in 4-6 weeks. Also, Sony will remove all the data from your HDD when repairing YLOD.
- Find a repairman: Give it to a repairman and ask him to fix it. He’ll charge around $100 and will take around 3 weeks. Good luck finding a reputable repairman who will do good quality repair work.
- Fix it yourself: Buy a professional repair guide and fix your PS3 yourself. It will cost you $37 and around 2 hours to fix your PS3 YLOD.